• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

Burn Question

elenipete

COC-A
Blitzer
CCO Practicoder
Can any one help me with this burn question-

A woman experienaced 3rd degree burn to her thigh and 2nd degree burn to her foot. She stated that the burns were from hot liquid.
My answer choices: A) 945.36, 945.22 E924.0
B) 945.22, 945.36 E924.0
C) 945.22, E924.0
D) 945.29, 945.39, E924.0

Their answer choice is A. My answer would have been 945.39, E924.0. I thought you could only have 1 code from each 3 digit category?
Any help for my confusion would be greatly appreciated.

Laureen

Queen Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Where did this question come from? You are correct that there should only be one 945 code. And since it is of multiple sites within that category you should use the multiple site 5th digit which is this case is 9.

If the burn was just of the thigh it would be 945.36
If the burn was just of the foot it would be 945.22
But since the burn was of both the thigh and foot it would be 945.39. You use the 3rd degree for the 4th digit as it is the most severe.

So I don't think there is a right answer here.
The correct answer would be 945.39, E924.0

elenipete

COC-A
Blitzer
CCO Practicoder
Thank you for the clarification.
I got this question in Professional Review Guide for the CCS Examination.

I had to find a video that you posted on you tube to see if I was right. This was what I remembered from the Blitz videos and the notes are put in my ICD 9 book.

thanks again!
I hope you are enjoying your Mothers Day!

Andrea

Alicia Scott

Moderator, CCO Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
3rd degree of the thigh is 945.36
2nd degree of the foot is 945.22
Multiple sites of lower limb(s) is 945.39

You have two sites on one body part (lower extremity) so you use a 945 because it is a leg and .3 because it is to the highest degree (3rd). Last digit is a 9 for more then one place on the lower extremity.

I agree with you Andrea and Laureen on this one. Seems clear so I don't know why they would list it as two codes instead of the one 945.39. Call them on it and see what they reply.

Chandra Stephenson

Staff member
Administrator
The guideline that support Laureen's answer is IC 17.c.2 reads "Classify burns of the same local site (three-digit category level, 940-947) but of different degrees to the subcategory identifying the highest degree recorded in the diagnosis." - Hope that helps!

elenipete

COC-A
Blitzer
CCO Practicoder
[Qlicia Scott, post: 8450, member: 5"]3rd degree of the thigh is 945.36
2nd degree of the foot is 945.22
Multiple sites of lower limb(s) is 945.39

You have two sites on one body part (lower extremity) so you use a 945 because it is a leg and .3 because it is to the highest degree (3rd). Last digit is a 9 for more then one place on the lower extremity.

I agree with you Andrea and Laureen on this one. Seems clear so I don't know why they would list it as two codes instead of the one 945.39. Call them on it and see what they reply.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't know who to call. It came from a book, the name Professional Review Guide for the CCS Examination.
This has cleared my confusion, just to realize I wasn't confused at all!